Tuesday, March 31, 2009

too delicious to hide in a comment box

Someone requested the recipe, so I thought I'd just share it here for all to read. I called it Buttercream Frostng in my previous cookie post, but now as I'm reading the recipe, I realize technically it's not. Anyhow...it's really yummy!

Homemade Buttery Decorator Icing
1/2 cup butter (don't substitute!) softened
1/4 cup shortening (I prefer butter-flavored crisco sticks)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 to 4 Tbsp. milk

In large bowl, beat butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl. Add 2 Tbsp milk, beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Add enough additional milk for desired spreading consistency.
Yield: 3cups. Note: Icing stays soft for awhile, so I usually place on plates in the fridge to help icing harden, then store cookies between layers of wax paper in airtight container.

Tip: Can be made 2 weeks in advance (if you can keep your kids/husband out of it that long!) and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temp and beat before using.