Wednesday, March 18, 2009

moms...hug yourself! you deserve it.

Okay, so I really should be in bed right now. I'm scheduled to work tomorrow, which means my brain needs to be functional without a mug of coffee glued to my bottom lip, so sleep is a good thing. However...I just checked e-mail before slipping into bed, and my mind is left spinning by a letter my sister-in-law just sent out. I wanted to hug her, cry with her, laugh with her all at the same time. She's having one of those days/weeks/months, that has her venting with frustration, and second-guessing herself. You know how it goes. (I know you do) Sick kids, lack of sleep, nursing baby with a "schedule" all her own, leads to housework malfunction, clutter, more frustration. And it spirals from there. We've all been there. I feel her pain. I wanted to pick up the phone and call, desperately, but feared waking her at one of those rare moments of sleep. So instead, I'm blogging. Wanting to tell her that maybe I've not been keeping it real enough here on the blog. It is my blog afterall, so I only have to tell the good stuff. I'm not required to share that my 8 year old is fascinated with the word "butt-crack" and has found ways to use it as not only a noun, but a verb and an adjective. Or that I scrubbed one of the kids booster seats today, and nearly passed out from what was growing underneath it on the chair. (not to mention that I'm too embarassed to set the chairs out on the curb, for fear someone might take them, and see how I haven't scrubbed the milk splatter off the legs in like, forever!) Or that I could have been in bed hours ago, if it weren't for the 6 baskets of clean laundry piling up in my basement waiting to be folded. (just didn't feel like it the last couple nights.) Nobody needs to hear about my having more than one "junk drawer" for stuff I just don't know what to do with when people come by to visit. Just stick it in the junk drawer!
Truth is, all of us are struggling to keep something together, I think. Sometimes it's easier to manage than others. Or maybe we just get good at letting go of our former expectations. I will have time to keep a clean house someday, I hope. What's important I think, is to be there for each other, to support each other. As moms we're doing exactly what God wants us to be doing, trying our best to bring our kids up to know and love Him...bringing these little souls closer to Heaven.
Give yourself a hug moms! Or better yet, call your friend, sister, mom and tell her how awesome you think she is! (cause she is!) We've been there, done that, knitted the t-shirt, and the odds are good, we'll do it again sometime, and need that hug right back.

7 comments:

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

You can't know how much I needed that.

Anonymous said...

I've learned that a spotless house is way less important that spending time as a family. And even though yelling, screaming and throwing a fit (I'm talking about me!) doesn't do much to solve the problems, some venting is required to move on. Thanks for the "hug", I'm gonna share it with some other moms I know!

wife, mother and so much more! said...

I'm feeling your hug, Jamie!
Thanks!

shelwolf22@aol.com said...

Years ago I read a book called "The Stay at Home Mom". There is/was a chapter in there called raising little saints for the king. This spoke volumes to me. My number one job is just that! Though I do get frustrated with my house and the messes, I try to remember to focus on the important goal of raising my little "saints". Thanks for the "hug" and the reminder!

4prettybabies said...

It's so good to know that we all have those darned milk splattered chairs (I try to not wear my glasses around the house so I don't notice them)! When I do put my glasses on, and see all the dust and crud around my house, I promptly take them off again so I can pretend they aren't there, praying that no one else notices, either! As far as your laundry...at least it's clean! You're halfway there! And about your junk drawer...I have junk laundry baskets that I shove everything in when someone's given me little warning that they are "stopping in". That laundry basket then sits in my closet, untouched, for MONTHS (This time since November)!!!! I guess I'd better add that to the long list of things to do! Thanks for the hugs, Jamie, and keeping it real! We all need to know we're in the same boat once in awhile! May God Bless you and your sister-in-law today!

Barb said...

I had to laugh at the milk-spattered chairs...I still have that problem and my youngest is 15!! He also manages to get it on the walls and the windows behind his chair sometimes...
Our dog died three years ago and I still kid about the fact that I miss how she always "cleaned" the kitchen floor for me...no crumbs in those days!!
But seriously, I used to get upset because my living room was always a disaster with toys, until I finally told myself that the day would come when there would be no toys in there....and the day has come. Sometimes I miss those sweet years of toys..just like I know that someday I will miss having them all living here....that empty nest is looming up on me.
A blessed day to all!

Anonymous said...

I think one of the most difficult and most rewarding jobs is motherhood. I am trying to learn to let go of some expectations of having a "spotless" house but it is difficult. However, when I let it go and get down and play with my kids/spend some quality time with them, I am reminded of how important it is to do just this! Thanks for sharing, Jamie!