Saturday, August 30, 2008

On Palin for VP...


Okay, a few thoughts...I'm uncertain how someone "pro-life" can be strongly pro-death penalty. Not sure I love her love of guns...but she's not from midwest, so maybe it's another ballgame up north. Its also unclear to me how a mother of 5 young ones (including a 3? month-old with Downs) can want to throw herself so completely into a career of any sort. (No, I'm not saying we shouldn't have working moms! it's about balance, I know.) But I do love that she gives a voice to the unborn, and children with special needs, her opposition to same-sex marriage, and that she comes from the largest energy state in the nation, and has a proven track-record for standing up to big oil companies. She's got moxy. Overall, I'm pleased with McCain's choice, even if it is completely contrived. While it probably is a ditch-effort to gain Clinton supporters, I think it serves better to light a spark in the GOP, who could only stand to gain from this self-proclaimed "soccer mom." Brilliant move, Senator McCain (and all who help him do his thinking.)