Saturday, August 30, 2008

On Palin for VP...


Okay, a few thoughts...I'm uncertain how someone "pro-life" can be strongly pro-death penalty. Not sure I love her love of guns...but she's not from midwest, so maybe it's another ballgame up north. Its also unclear to me how a mother of 5 young ones (including a 3? month-old with Downs) can want to throw herself so completely into a career of any sort. (No, I'm not saying we shouldn't have working moms! it's about balance, I know.) But I do love that she gives a voice to the unborn, and children with special needs, her opposition to same-sex marriage, and that she comes from the largest energy state in the nation, and has a proven track-record for standing up to big oil companies. She's got moxy. Overall, I'm pleased with McCain's choice, even if it is completely contrived. While it probably is a ditch-effort to gain Clinton supporters, I think it serves better to light a spark in the GOP, who could only stand to gain from this self-proclaimed "soccer mom." Brilliant move, Senator McCain (and all who help him do his thinking.)


5 comments:

jamie said...

I'm gonna add my own comment here...I have some very good friends who balance career and family beautifully! So, don't jump on me for that comment please! I'm not saying it can't be done...I was just saying.

wife, mother and so much more! said...

As being a mom to a Down's child--I do question her full-time attention to the White House. On that same note--that's what makes her even a better canaditate--she's totally PRO-LIFE!!

About 90% of Down's children are terminated and a mom in politics who didn't abort--bravo!!

Pam said...

I ♥ his choice for VP. At first, I have to admit that I was stunned he chose her -- we (at least I) hadn't heard boo about her AND she was a WOMAN!!! I will never EVER vote for someone (or against them) because of race or gender, but I will give her kudos! Sounds like she's not afraid to stand up for what's "right" -- which, in this day and age doesn't happen every day.

Go McCain/Palin!!!! Put a sign in my yard!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and lively debate on this exact same issure on http://www.faithandfamilylive.com/blog/the_politics_of_motherhood/

I was just so thrilled that she's pro-life, mom of 5, and is down to earth and ready to challenge the establishment that I hadn't thought of the issues you brought up. Bravo for looking at all the issues

Kat said...

I personally love her, errm in a purely hetro sort of way... lol