Tuesday, August 19, 2008

back to school blues.

It's finally here. No more denying it. Schools back in session starting tomorrow. I seem to be the only one in the house fighting it though. New shoes are lined up in the kitchen, backpacks plump full with crisp notebooks and yet to be sharpened pencils lay waiting on the bench, clothes ironed and laid out, and dare I say it...alarm clocks set. (sob, sob.) How could it happen that I feel so completely caught off-guard by this year's start. It's been jotted on the calendar since the first of summer. What happened to the last 3 months??!! The parks, the playgroups, the picnics, the pool?! Why must it end?
Alright, maybe I'm going a bit overboard. Grace (with all of her drama) is rubbing off on me. Truth is, it was kind of nice putting everyone in bed by 9, and the thought of having 6 less kids in the house during most afternoons might just be nice. Perhaps I'll get to snuggle with Charlie for his naps just a bit longer. Hmmm. A less-noisy cup of coffee in the morning might not be all bad. Yeah, maybe it's a good thing. Maybe I won't miss late-nights catching lightning bugs, and even later mornings sleeping in. Maybe spending time doing homework and organizing schedules will grow on me. Maybe, just maybe I'll be posting a little ditty about how quickly this school year flew by, and "can't believe it summertime again!" real soon. Yeah, maybe.
Here's to a blessed new school year!
Peace.