Tuesday, August 5, 2008

growing pains

It is a deep heavy sigh I breathe, as I realize that my "babies" are growing up. Our first two are nearing 9 and wanting a space of their own that doesn't include Barbie, dress-up gowns or Little People. That place is impossible to find in this house with 8 younger siblings who have no concept of personal space. So, in trying to keep the peace, they helped me to reorganize the basement and carve out a "big kids" niche with desks, chairs, music, and a few 'tween posters. (I'm not sure I like a pic of Zac Efron's belly button fur hanging right above where Alice is meant to be studying, but "he's so cute!") Anyhow, I still imagine the pair in diapers, gumming the tv remote or toddling along furniture. Before I know it, they'll be asking me for car keys, or worse yet permission to date. Maybe I'll tuck a little Polly Pocket in their top desk drawer, in secret hopes they'll stay young forever. After all, Alice promised me at the age of 3 that the only boy she'd ever kiss was Daddy, and she'd live with us forever! Oh, how today I feel like holding her to that! (maybe when the 'tweens turn to 'teens, it will seem easier to want to let go!)
For now, I must snap out of it...preparing to take the oldest 7 to a minor league baseball game tonight (3 youngest heading to grandma and grandpas for the evening.) Pray that the weather holds out...and a little prayer that grandma holds out too! thanks mom!






,