Wednesday, December 9, 2009

making my list & checking it twice

Okay, so my shopping's all done. But that's not the end to my list-making, Oh no! Yesterday I started my baking/candy-making list. There are a handful of traditional items I love to make this time of year including Chex mix, sugar cookies laden with buttery decorator icing, Peanut Butter cookies with a Kiss on top, and mini brownies with the Reeces cup tucked in the top, just to name a few. (mmmm. My mouth is watering just typing.) And of course each year I add a few new recipes to the list...suggestions from friends, or tasty treats from seasons prior. Anyhow, I think I've finalized my list and would love to hear suggestions, recipes, or favorites from your list. (and I use the term "baking" lightly, cause much of my delight is just dipping anything in chocolate!)

  • Chocolate Chip Cookies with Red & Green M&M's -DONE
  • Caramel Corn -DONE
  • Buckeye Bars (same great taste as the Buckeye treats, but spread into a pan...much easier!) -DONE
  • Brownie Bites with a Reeses cup tucked in-DONE
  • Chex Mix -DONE
  • Ranch Snack mix -DONE
  • Peanut Brittle (this year will be my first attempt, any hints?)-DONE
  • Fudge-DONE
  • Spiced Pecans
  • Puppy Chow-DONE
  • Oreo Truffles
  • Chocolate Truffles
  • Crunch Toffee Bars
  • Pecan Shortbread Cookies (a new recipe that looks simple and yummy!)-DONE
  • Peanut Butter/Kisses cookies
  • Pretzels topped with Kiss and M&M smushed in-DONE
  • Spritz cookies (we made these with my mom as a kid...and now my kids love to decorate them)
  • Decorated Sugar cookies

Of course we don't eat all this ourselves. Much of it is shared with neighbors, teachers, coworkers, etc. A sample of each is set out on trays to greet visitors on Christmas morning, and through the 12 days of Christmas (or as long as it lasts.) Can't wait to hear what you're cooking up!

9 comments:

Stacy said...

WOW Jamie....you are one busy gal! I enjoy baking also, but that just makes me tired reading all that! How in the world do you find time (and energy) to make it all?

Stacy said...

BTW...does all these goodies that you bake....do they all freeze well? Just curious, b/c sometimes the chocolate/caramel candy I make is really gooey when I thaw it out and doesn't look very good to give as gifts.

jamie said...

Hey Stacy! I don't get it all done in one night...that's for sure. The baked goods and snack mixes all freeze well. The chocolate coated/candy items I typically store in plastic containers in our extra fridge downstairs. (Outta sight, outta mind...so we don't munch it all away before christmas.)

Shelli said...

Peppermint Bark

12 oz chocolate chips
1 pound white chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup peppermint candy, crushed

Preheat oven to 250. Line a 9x13 pan with foil, letting it hang over the sides. Spray foil. Pour the chocolate chips in an even layer on the foil. Place in oven for 5 minutes or until almost melted. Remove from oven, smooth with an offset spatula or knife. Place in refrigerator until cold and firm, about 20 minutes.

Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a metal bowl over simmering water (don’t let bottom of bowl touch water), until chocolate is almost melted. You can use your microwave for this if you’re brave! Remove bowl from water and stir until completely melted, stirring in extract. Let cool a little bit so it doesn’t melt the chocolate layer when you pour it on top. Pour this over chocolate layer, and, working quickly, spread to cover. Sprinkle with crushed candy.

Made this last year. Very good and perfect for a gift. Did hear someone comment that crushed candy canes are better than the brachs candy.

Beth said...

Ooooh...definitely make time for those Oreo truffles! They are so good and look like you worked really hard on them, even though they are a piece of cake (or should I say cookie?)to make! My kids teachers loved them last year and couldn't believe it when I told them how easy they were to make!

Beth said...

Also...my Mom just made the chocolate covered mint Oreos...so good & easy! I wonder how those would taste as an oreo truffle??? Maybe sprinkle a few Andes mints on top (you can buy them in a bag already in pieces). I might have to give that a try. Also, I've made brownies before and put the Andes Mints on top when they were still warm...they melt on top and make a yummy brownie even yummier!

My Mom also takes pretzel rods and dips 1/2 in chocolate and then adds sprinkles or toffee bits. Our kids love them and they are a hit at Christmas Parties for the kids and so easy to make.

Last year, to spruce up the teachers gifts, I also dipped candy canes in the melted chocolate (1/2 way) so they could use them as stir-sticks in hot chocolate. They really added a fun touch to the treats!

only one said...

I would love to have the buckeye bar recipe and the puppy chow recipe. With not having teachers to bake for, I don't do much anymore. I have made the cookies for my sides get together, but I still would like to share the other things also. I'll let someone else back the cookies for the big family!!

only one said...

I would love to have the Buckeye bars and the Puppy Chow recipe. I don't do much baking anymore since I don't have teachers to bake for. I have my cookies baked for my sides get together, letting someone else take them for the big family. However, I would like to share the above recipes with others. Thanks

jamie said...

going to try to post recipes this afternoon/evening! sorry for the delay.