Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October, Lovely Lady prayer

Alice and Emma were asked to read this simple prayer a couple years back at mass for the May Crowning of our Blessed Mother. The ceremony took place just one week after their First Holy Communion, and the new communicants were invited to wear their suits and dresses once again. I can still picture them in their white dresses and veils, reading these sweet words as they took turns with the verses at the lectern. The words still ring in my ears at times, and it seemed fitting to share them this month of Our Lady's Holy Rosary.

Lovely Lady dressed in blue,
Teach me how to pray!
God was just your little Boy.
Tell me what to say!
Did you lift Him up sometimes,
Gently on your knee?
Did you sing to Him the way
Mother does to me?
Did you hold his hand at night?
Did you ever try
Telling Him stories of the world?
Oh! And did he ever cry?
Do you really think He cares
If I tell Him things--
Little things that happen?
And do the Angels' wings
Make a noise?
And can He hear Me if I speak low?
Does He understand me now?
Tell me--for you know.
Lovely Lady dressed in blue,
Teach me how to pray!
God was just your little Boy,
And you must know the way!