Friday, October 16, 2009

caramel corn follow-up

I raided mom's recipe box to find this old recipe for making caramel corn in the microwave. I have not tried it myself, but several of us commented about remembering our moms making it this way, and said it was super-easy clean-up. Worth a try, I think.

Microwave Caramel Corn

Place 3 quarts of popped corn in large paper grocery bag that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

In microwave-safe bowl, combine: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Karo syrup, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 tsp. salt. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir well. Microwave another 2 minutes, then stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda, mixing well. Pour over popped corn in bag. Close bag and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Shake bag and microwave on high for 45 more seconds. Pour into pan and cool. Store in airtight container.

(I believe the ingredients are exactly the same as my previous recipe, though only 1/2'd. Taste should be great, just not sure how it comes out...crunchy, chewy??) If someone tries this before I do, please let me know in the comments how it went. Sounds super simple and quick!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Jamie...YOU ROCK! I mentioned this recipe to my Mom today and she half scoffed/half laughed at me when I asked her if she still had the recipe! I think I need to help her organize all those recipe cards/clippings. They are jammed so tightly in her recipe box that I don't know if we can even pry them out! I was going to make your caramel corn recipe today, but got too busy. I can't wait to try both of these. Thanks a bunch!

Martha said...

YUM!!! We love caramel corn, too! I do make it in the microwave, just like this with the brown paper bag. I'm so frugal, I try to scrape the leftover goo off of the inside of the bag because some of it sticks and that's the only messy part involved! (but it's so good, I don't mind--the leftover goo usually goes straight to my mouth instead of being spread on the popcorn anyway!) I spread wax paper on my countertop and it dumps right out. It is a bit chewy, and the recipe I have recommends that you not use buttered microwave popcorn, but I've used it before and it was fine. Thanks for the idea!

Amy said...

Haven't checked for a few days, but the recipe you posted is the EXACT recipe that I use. Just made a batch yesterday. Enjoy!!

Beth said...

YUMMMMMMMM! We made your original caramel corn recipe yesterday. The kids acted like I was a gourmet chef or something! Unfortunately, I've been munching on it non-stop because if is so addivtive. Thanks again for the great recipe and idea!

BluRibbonz said...

if you use mushroom popcorn it should still come out deliciously crunchy and wont brake into pieces when being mixed with the caramel. I get mine from www.justpoppin.com

The idea of microwaving it instead of baking it is interesting. I am definately going to try this one!