Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lucy's lion


I passed through the house in my usual fashion last night. Kids were in bed, so I began my "sweep" of rooms. The kids usually have to pick up toys before they can watch any tv for the night, so it's just a matter of me rescuing that one "Little People" princess who didn't make it back into her carriage for the night, or the handful of Legos swept under the couch in the hustle of scooping them into a bucket. I typically line up backpacks for the next morning, spot a missing sock that needs thrown down the clothes chute, return a book or two to the shelf, fluff a few pillows on the couch. It's a nightly ritual to assure most things are back in their places for the next day, so that kids can turn it upside down all over again. Actual cleaning is another story...I can live with a little dust, at least till my next official cleaning day.

Anyhow, as I picked up a throw pillow to straighten and fluff it on the couch, I spotted Lucy's lion. For some reason tonight it made me catch my breath...and yep, even get a little misty for a minute. She's been carrying this lion around as her best friend since she got it the other day...it's almost a part of her. Seeing it there curled up on the couch brought back a surge of memories and emotions I wasn't expecting. I recalled in a flash, the days when we were losing hope of ever having children of our own. For some reason the painful memories of infertility seemed fresh in my mind again. Those four years of waiting and trying to have children were very real all over. I was never so grateful for one misplaced toy, as I was last evening. This little lion says there are children in this house. Our God is an awesome God! I am so grateful for His kindness and mercy, that He could find us worthy of not only one, but a whole houseful of blessings. Certainly, I have much to be thankful for, and Lucy and her little lion are just the start.

Thank you God for this gentle reminder of your love.