Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Somethin's up with Charlie...


Something's definitely going on with Charlie lately, and I just can't quite put my finger on it. I thought at first maybe he wasn't feeling well, but no, that's not it. The look in his eyes seems "softer." Gone is the "terrible" two-year-old, replaced with thoughtful three. I'm realizing he might just be moving towards a "kinder, gentler Charlie." Oh, don't get me wrong. He'll just as happily throw you from the swing as to kindly ask you to move...but somehow he's changing...becoming more considerate perhaps? Oh, let me just give you a for instance. As I was making supper the other night, he gently tugged at my leg (and in that soft tone of voice) asked "Mom, whatcha makin' tonight?" "Pancakes," I replied. "Oh" in a disappointed and yet consoling tone "it's okay, I like mine black" and away he walked...with my heart. I hadn't even burnt them (yet) and already he was making me feel okay about it. God love him! I'll have you know I made every one to perfection that night...just for him! Oh, and then the other morning (Saturday I think) when I was speaking loudly (yelling!) to the girls about something, he gently interrupted with an "I love you mom," again in the quiet, consoling thoughtful tone. Boy, he's gooood! There have been a handful of other litte instances just like these, that escape me at the moment. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes on him. Somehow, he's managed to wrap me very tightly around that chubby, dirt-stained little finger of his. My question...can someone barely potty trained be too young to begin discerning a vocation?