Thursday, September 11, 2008

sleepless nights.

Okay, one lousy night of sleep...I don't have much to complain about, I know. So instead, I'm going to find the silver lining. For the most part, this family has been blessed with great sleepers. Oh, we have our occasional sleep-walkers, middle of the night bathroom visits, and once in awhile I find myself rooting around under Lucy's crib for a lost pacifier. But overall, its good. All 10 are in bed by 9 on a school night, and don't hear from them again till 7. Last night though, Lucy needed some Mom-time. She's cutting two big teeth, and those swollen gums were keeping her from getting any rest. I tried soothing her from the sidelines a few times, but finally had to just bite the bullet and rock with her for awhile. It's funny, I groan and complain thinking about it, but in all honesty, I love those hours snuggling in the rocker, just her and I. She never did fall asleep in my arms, but she was certainly content there, and we both enjoyed just gazing at each other in the dark. Those moments are hard to come by during daylight hours, and these times won't last forever. So for now, I'm grateful for this beautiful baby I hold in my arms...a precious miracle from God, indeed. How much better to be awake holding this little one, as opposed to awake, waiting and wondering when I'll hear her coming thru the door in the wee hours of the night. Oh, if they could only stay little forever!