Tuesday, September 30, 2008

fighting evil, one hug at a time

At lunch today, Grace (5) and Mary (4) were arguing about something (hard to remember what this time) when Grace hollered out, "Mom, Mary's making the devil stronger...she just looked at me mean!" I asked where this came from. Turns out good 'ol Dad had a conversation with them last evening about how our sins work against Jesus, and help the Devil to spread evil in the world. I'd never heard it worded just like this, but I liked his reasoning with them. Anyways, our conversation continued on, that when we do kind things, we are spreading God's love, and making Jesus stronger to fight the devil. They liked the positive flip side of this, and their argument, now forgotten left them sitting quietly at the table. I continued on with cooking, and in a moment I heard in a very soft voice "Grace, I'm sorry for poking you in the eye before." and Grace returned with "It's okay. A hug?" and they moved together to embrace in a brief but genuinely heartfelt hug. I couldn't help but feel all warm and fuzzy just then. Little lessons about forgiveness, shared by a preschooler...that's what it's all about.

"Assuredly, I say to you,whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." Mark 10:15