Friday, September 5, 2008

(nearly) empty nest

I had 4 children napping and 6 at school this afternoon...and nearly 30 minutes all to myself. I didn't quite know how to act. I hated to waste it on tv, and I can fold laundry when they're all in bed at night, for some reason this time seamed special, sacred almost. It was incredibly strange, to say the least. I checked e-mail, loaded the dishwasher with lunch dishes, and for 10 minutes...I sat down on the couch in complete silence. Because I could. I hate to admit it, but I was a little sad, imagining a time when the kids are all out of the house. Of course then, I may be back to working more hours as a nurse again. But still, my heart was heavy, and I was glad when Mary and John were dropped off in the driveway anxious to show me the dinosaurs they colored at preschool today. Together the three of us waited on the front porch for the older kids to come walking down the street from the elementary. Soon the house was abuzz again...popsicles to distribute, school papers to check and sign, nappers waking up, supper to fix. This is what I know and love. This is my blessed life.