Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.


A former co-worker gave me this framed prayer as a high school graduation gift...the words now etched in my mind, as I refer to it often.
Today I noticed the same prayer hanging over my desk at work. (I job share with 2 other nurses.) As I read the words aloud again, I realized I not only want to accept the things I cannot change, but I want to embrace them! As a wife and mother constantly preparing, fixing, manipulating, molding, and attempting to control the way the household runs, I find it incredibly liberating to know that a large part of life is out of my control. Outta my hands! God has made it so that I can cast those worries and burdens on him. Thank goodness. Now Lord, just help me to work on the courage and wisdom part.