Thursday, September 18, 2008

how do you like them apples?

Tonight John took the kids to the park (with the exception of 3 who were playing at the neighbors) so that mom and I could get peelin' on some apples. A woman from our church called to share some apples that she cleaned up after her neighbors tree was lost in the wind storm last weekend. I thought she might have just a few, but when we went to get them, there were buckets and buckets of them! I shared half with my sister-in-law who also cans, but the rest are here waiting for me. So this evening, with mom's help peeling, we made our way through 2 of the 5-gallon buckets. It seemed to go so much faster with help, and good conversation. I look forward to when the girls are just a little older to make quick work of jobs like these.

Anyhow, by the time John and the kids got home, we were nearly done preparing the apples, so mom headed home, and I started cooking. I found a great recipe for freezing apple pie filling. The smell of cinnamon, sugar and apples has the house smelling wonderful! I made enough for more than 10 pies. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more done. I hate to see all that beautiful fruit go to waste. Again I'm grateful for God's providence, and the kindness of others to share their bounty.