Tuesday, July 1, 2008

kitchen table talk

Converation can never be called predictable at this house. Today's lunch was no different. What started with chatter about a sign-up deadline for fall soccer and other activities, turned into a great opportunity for vocational discernment...to say the least.

It went something like this:
Mom: "Emma, this week is the deadline for soccer sign-ups. You still interested?"
Emma: "Yep, I'm there!"
Sam: "Should I sign up too?"
Mom: "Do you like soccer?"
Sam: (with wrinkled face) "mmm, not really."
Mom: "Then just plan on joining "Boys Club" (a youth group for boys to help them grow in and learn more about their Catholic faith)
Sam: "If it's really called "Boys club" then I'll join."
Mom: "Cool, then maybe you'll find your calling to become a priest someday." (Okay, maybe a stretch, but always feel it necessary to at least "plug" the idea from time to time)
...then turning to 2y.o. Charlie..."and you look good in black today, maybe you'll make a good priest too!"
Emma: "Pope Charlie!" sounds great!!! (and turning to me as I raise my eyebrows) "Go big or go home Mom!"

Alrighty then. Never sell yourself short, I'm being told by an 8 year old.