Wednesday, July 23, 2008

...and we're back

I'm still in denial that the trip is over, and despite the mounds of laundry in my basement, and piles of junk on my countertops...we're still acting like vacation isn't over. I actually cried coming home. I just didn't want it to end. And so, I'm not letting it. We're still sleeping in late, having campfires in the backyard at days' end, and tomorrow hopefully, one last trip to a zoo or museum.
As I think back to all we did over the last week (12oo+ miles on the road, a wedding, camping, touring an old coal mine in West Virginia, lots of swimming and hiking, etc.) I just can't help but think that this trip had much greater purpose than just a family vacation. I listened to the words of a song by Mercy Me driving home, and they continue to ring in my head..."Bless me indeed, open wide my horizon to share Your name." I believe maybe this trip was an opportunity for our family to share God's blessings with others.
Let's face it, I can't quote scripture and I'm not well educated on the history of our Catholic church. I'm a simple person, with a simple faith. And I hope and pray that our faith is evident in our daily lives. I hope to live as an example to others of Gods abundant blessings and mercy, so that others can see the precious gift of family...to see that children are not burdens, but blessings.
We seemed to be a spectacle wherever we went. People pointing, visibly counting, and some even daring to ask if they're "all ours?" I was humbled on this trip by the generosity of strangers, by their kind words, and acceptance of our little crowd everywhere we traveled. It was empowering, enlightening, and all around good fun...and I can't wait to do it again.
More to follow...
God Bless!
jamie

oh, and is it all bad to end every day with one 'Smore and a Corona with lime?