Thursday, September 3, 2009

pasta follow-up

Even after simmering all night (and waking up a couple times to stir...I was so afraid it'd scorch while I slept) the sauce was still pretty thin. It smells divine, though...and suspect it will taste just as good. I didn't have any tomato paste in the house to add, so I canned it as is. I read somewhere that while you shouldn't can with cornstarch, you can add it later when ready to use to thicken it up a bit, and that's just what we might try.

thanks for the tips everyone! BTW~ Tania (who commented), how do the apples come out with your strainer? As runny and slushy as the tomatoes? I like my applesauce a little chunky. Perhaps your newer model has different attachments for different consistencies? I'd love to know more/try more before deciding to purchase one for myself. It did make super easy work of the tomatoes!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Jaime, I guess I wasn't aware of all the other ways to "do" spaghetti sauce, but I have a compeletly different approach. For the 3rd year in a row, I peel my tomatos raw, put them in the blender to puree (my kids do not like chunky!) then I simmer with a small amount of tomato paste....say one 6 oz can per dutch over full...I add fresh basil, italian seasoning, salt pepper, a little sugar and let it simmer for only an hour! I cool and spoon in freezer bags flat...it isn't fancy, but has been making great spaghetti sauce or soup base for the last couple years....just thought I would add my 2 cents...when I cook then the spaghetti sauce, I may add another tomato paste, chopped onions and garlic!! Yumm!

Anonymous said...

just add alot of meatballs to the sauce when your ready to eat it... that will thicken it up YUMMY whats spaghetti w/o meatballs