Wednesday, September 16, 2009

fumbling for my life preserver.


Somedays, I feel like I've got things covered. Schedules are managed, days roll by smoothly, laundry is under control. (okay, that last one is a stretch.) But still, there are plenty of good days. And then there are the "bad" ones. You know, that stretch of time where you feel like everything is one step forward, two steps back... when you're busy all day long, and by bedtime you can't put your finger on anything that really got accomplished. Wow, do I feel like I've been spinning wheels lately. Yes, there have been big things like lucking into someone's extra garden produce. One friend gave me about 5 gallons of tomatoes, or so which that night became another 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce. That same day a neighbor offered us "free pickins" from their apple tree, so I got about 12 quarts of applesauce canned. I can't really plan ahead for those blocks of time. When produce is "ready," everything else goes to the backburner.

Yesterday I had a bit of time in the afternoon, so I drug my sewing machine and a sack full of simple mending projects out. In that process I spent about 15 minutes cleaning out my sewing box due to a package of straight pin spilled out all over. I finally got things organized and machine running, and wouldn't you know it my needle broke and I have no replacements on hand. Darnit! All the projects went back into the bag, sewing machine and supplies back into the laundry room, all waiting for another day.

Oh, I could go on and on about busy days, feeling exhausted and just wondering if I'll ever get my head above water again...but I already know the answer. It's like the ebb and flow of the tide and just as we tend to think it's going to pull us under completely, the tide rolls out. We find ourselves standing on the smooth sand, perhaps even spotting a few treasures that drifted in. This time of chaos will pass. I just need to breathe now and then, be grateful for my life and all the blessings I've been given, and recall my real "Life Preserver," who through his death on the cross has already saved me. I pray I can keep from getting caught up in the ropes. Amen


John 3:16-17 For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to be its judge but to be its savior.