Thursday, July 9, 2009

I need to wear a sign

"Choosing my battles"

That's what my sign would say. It would very neatly sum up why it is that Mary is wearing black long pants in 85 degree heat, and Frank has blue socks with red trim boasting dancing penguins in santa hats...with gym shorts and brown dress shoes. Yes, I suggested alternatives to each of them, but rather than get into a full blown argument about something so silly, I just sigh a "Whatever" and let them roll with it. Needless to say I'm sure there were some parents at the park tonight wondering what I was thinking allowing them out of the house that way. I'm cool with that...if only I had my sign.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm giggling right now because I know that I've let my kids out of the house that way too! I love being out and seeing kids dressed in costumes, crazy outfits, etc. knowing that it was a matter of "choosing my battles" in full force!!

Amy

blessed to be a Mom said...

I agree. We had a parent-teacher conference with Emma's teacher when she was in kindergarten. It was a discussion of how she relied heavily upon everyone else and needed to be more independent. So...she started picking out her clothes. I can't remember what it was she wore, but I emailed the teacher to let her know she was expressing her independence. The teacher, "I thought so."
Choosing battles makes life a little easier at least part of the time.

Beth said...

Hahaha! So I'm not the only one? My daughter did have a really cute pair of white shorts on that matched her aqua & white sriped tank top. Then she just entered the room in long pants. We call them her easter egg pants. Yes, they are that brightly colored with stripes galore. She also loves to wear her black Christmas dress shoes around this time of the year with no socks. They also seem to be way too small! Oh, and when we went to Loramie to watch the fireworks, we realized when we got there that she had her little UG-type boots on with shorts and a tank top! We just prayed that we wouldn't see anyone we knew and let her go. Choose your battles is right...but sometimes I have to bite my tongue until it practically bleeds!!!

Kathryn said...

Faith comes up with the most outlandish combinations, being #7 in the lineup I've also learned to chose my battles and let her look like Punky Brewster most of the time!

Anonymous said...

My little guy likes to wear cowboy boots with shorts. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

My little one wore her Sleeping Beauty princess dress to the grocery store last week. At least it made everyone around us giggle and she always has the biggest smile ever :)