Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Singing it's praises!

Around 11:00 last night, I decided it wise to scrub the bathtub. It needed it really bad, but worse was the un-scrubbable mildew that collects on the caulk that lines the edge of the tub. Eeewww! Disgusting. We have no ventilation in that bathroom, hence the mildew, and for some reason, it just can't be removed from the caulk. So every so often, it's necessary to scrape away the old caulk, clean it well, and re-caulk. Last night I was on a mission! I tore down the shower curtain and liner along with the rubber bath mat and heaved them into the washing machine. I removed all the soap & shampoo, scrunchies, and other tub paraphenelia and was ready to get down to business. One trip to my cleaning supply closet though, made my heart sink. Darnit. I forgot to put tub cleaner on the list last time I used it, and ran out. Okay, I'll just use Comet...all gone. Dang! Nothing appropriate for scouring away mildew and soap scum. Now what?! I just tore apart the bathroom. And I have my caulk scraping tools ready and waiting.
I googled homemade cleaners and decided to try a little vinegar and baking soda. OMG!!!! It's a miracle. That stuff either used separately or later as a paste (I did it both ways) was AMAZING!! As a matter of fact, I should be embarassed to admit...there has been a black area of stains on the outside edge of the old porcelain tub since we moved here...looked just like hair dye drippings (not that I'd know anything about that.) I've tried everything from bleach, to comet, to Scrubbing Bubbles, and several generic tub & tile cleaners along the way and have never been able to remove it. The vinegar and baking soda literally took it off in one swipe. (Are you hearing the choirs of heaven singing too?!) Yep, nothing short of miraculous. Praise God!!!
I am certain to never use anything else again...unless perhaps I forget to put this on my list too. (oops.)
So, anyone else have any super-incredible cleaning supply must-haves?! (Cause I'm slow to catch on that simple is sometimes better.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the recipie...how much vinegar and how much baking soda?

jamie said...

sorry I wasn't clear...I found several "recipes"...all different, but I just used this suggestion: Pour vinegar onto sponge and wipe down walls, then sprinkle with baking soda (I sprinkled it right onto walls, and my sponge) and scrub, rinse. For more stubborn areas (esp around floor of tub) I made a paste of the two right on my sponge and scrubbed away.) I think any combination of the two would work wonderfully.

Anonymous said...

1 part rubbing alchohol, 1 part vinegar, 1 part water. That's my glass cleaner. I also swear that water diluted ammonia gets off hair spray that seems to make it on my bathroom floor. I also really enjoy my steam mop.

Beth said...

Don't you just love it when you finally get rid of a pesky stain? I'm going to try this in my sink instead of the soft scrub with bleach and see how it does!

Anyone know how to get permanent marker off of the inside of my pantry bi-fold doors? Drives me crazy every time I see it! 2 yr. olds and permanent markers just don't mix!!! Maybe I'll try the vinegar and baking soda...can't hurt, can it?

blessed to be a Mom said...

vinegar and baking soda also works on plugged or slow drains. Bubbles up and then you rinse it down.

Anonymous said...

I just tried the Clorox bleach pen on my moldy chaulk around the shower enclosure. On one side I left it on all day - mold and mildew - Gone!! The other side I left on for several hours and then scrubbed off. It was lighter in color, but still there. I was very excited about this discovery 'cause I was getting ready to scrape it all off and reapply the chaulk too!

Stacy said...

I think I'm going to have to try the water diluted ammonia tip on the hairspray that has collected on my bathroom floor as well. That seems to be the hardest thing to get rid of. Would it be safe to use on painted walls as well to remove hairspray buildup?

April said...

Not exactly for cleaning, but... when you have gnats, like the kind that gather around bananas and fruit on the counter, fill a coffee mug about half full of apple cider vinegar, add about 2 Tablespoons of water and 1 drop of dish soap. Sit the cup near the bananas (away from the edge of the counter where little hands can reach). The gnats will be drawn to it and drown in it. It's fun to use a white mug so the kids can count the gnat carnage. It's amazing how quick this works.

For the permanent marker--have you tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser? This has worked for me with markers on alot of different surfaces

Anonymous said...

window cleaners use DAWN and VINEGAR you will never see such clean windows and resists finger marks.... be sure to add the dawn last so as not to make suds.....

Anonymous said...

for dust on plant leaves, put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and lightly spray the leaves. The dust will dissolve away!

Anonymous said...

I have a book called "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean & Talking Dirty Laundry with the Queen of Clean." I can't believe some of the suggestions, but they really work.

I was just washing walls this week and found a great cleaning solution on the back of the ammonia bottle...1 gal warm water, 1 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda. It takes greasy hand prints off well!

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

If you have soap scum use easy off oven spray let set over night and it comes right off, amazing!!!!!