Monday, June 15, 2009

sorry if I seem a bit distracted lately

I feel as if I've been neglecting the blog a bit lately. Sorry about that.
Our summer schedule is in full swing right now with baseball, softball, tee ball, 4-H, swim team, and now the library's summer reading club. Top that with quick trips to the pool, parks, picnics and other leisure activities, and it's a bit crazy at times. Even the yard and garden require attention that it wouldn't throughout the rest of the year.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining. In spite of the busy schedule, our overall pace is a bit slower with no alarm clocks in the morning, meals a bit more make-shift, and popsicles to make everything all better. I love summer. I love walking out to the garden in my bare feet just to see what's growing, or better yet, dragging a hose around to water the flowers just because I can. I love hanging out in my rocker on the front porch to watch the kids ride bicycles and scooters up and down the sidewalks, or lounging on the patio while they splash in the sprinkler. It's all good.
I've been focusing my attention a bit more on me lately as well. Heath and fitness have moved up a bit on my priority list. I've joined with a handful of other bloggers who are also trying to find their "best" selves. I'm making time for the treadmill, riding bikes with the older kids, even jogging alongside the kids on bikes and rollerblades. I love that they're seeing their mom wanting to be better and stronger and more fit. We don't call it dieting (cause this is a lifestyle change), rather mom wanting to be around for the kids for a very long time. I've noticed John making subtle changes in his eating and exercise as well, cutting back on soda, taking long bike rides, etc. Little changes that are sure to make a big difference in our overall health.
It's tricky to find balance in all life's chaos, but most days I think I'm getting there. I'm so grateful for the abundant blessings in my life, and for all the graces to get through each day.
Peaceful night all!