Monday, March 26, 2012

reflection and reconciliation

I don't always get it. Seriously. I just don't.
Sometimes (often times) I read a scripture passage, or nice reflection and when I'm thru, all I've got is "blah blah blah...blah blah...somethin' somethin'...blah blah blah."

That was the case this morning, when I flipped to the next card in my daily reflections. I read it, and seriously thought..."pass." Can I draw the next card? It just didn't click. No "aha, yes. Exactly" feelings today. Not gonna blog about that.

And then I went to confession tonight. The 6 oldest kids and myself...only slight moaning and wailing when I asked them to sit at the kitchen table for a few minutes and think about what's keeping them from Jesus. "What have you done that NEEDS forgiving?"
"Quick! You have just 2 minutes, we're running late!" (typical...no pressure.)

Anyhow.

As we sat in church listening to the Gospel, and Fr. Rick's homily reflection, and sang together such beautiful songs as "Hosea (Come Back to Me)" and "Turn to the Living God," the verse I'd read earlier today suddenly seemed clear...made perfect sense.

"His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
~Lamentations 3:22-23


Great is His mercy and kindness to me, a sinner. I am humbled by his love and faithfulness. Reconciliation offers me the gift of newness. The opportunity to cleanse my soul...recognizing all along that the price of my sins has already been paid by His death on the cross. His suffering...my salvation.
Thank you God! All praise and glory to you.