Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday: Cleaning Day. NOT!

November 1st and temps were in the upper 60's today. Who woulda' thought?! In light of the unseasonably warm weather, we skipped all cleaning for the day. (Woohoo!! confetti, streamers, crowds cheering.) Well, sorta. (letdown)
The kids and I spent the day outdoors cleaning the garage and shed. I actually enjoyed it immensely. My husband is a packrat to his core, and when I ask him to throw something out, it inevitably ends up in the shed with the thought that he'll find another use for it later. It makes me crazy!!! Anyhow, with him at work today, I got busy. The kids were great help, most of the time. And when they weren't helping, they were playing together which is just as helpful. We unloaded the garage first, sorting through broken squirt guns and other summer toys that needed to be tossed. We hung up a few bikes, sorted through balls and bats, and every imagineable outdoor plaything. We paired up skates, lined up scooters. It was wonderful.
After lunch we tackled the shed. It required more effort on my part, as this is where John keeps all of his recycleables (aka: junk). After stacking lumber, throwing away broken christmas decorations from last season, putting a few tools away, and cleaning up a bit, it was time to start pitching. I found a broken quilt rack that I asked him to pitch 2 years ago. It's still broken, and still useless. (Lord, help me!) It took me no time to fill a few garbage cans, and soon I found room for the patio table and chairs, and the bench and rocker from the front porch. It's all organized with the snow blower shifted to the front for easy access. (Hopefully, this will mean we won't need it too much.)
Anyhow, it was a wonderfully productive day. And we ended it by watching the Minster HS girls cross country team parade through town on firetrucks as the new Div III State Champions. Woohoo! We joined them at the high school for a welcome home pep rally. Two of our neices ran today, and we're sooo proud of them. Way to go Lei and Averie! I think they're amazing!
Have a peaceful weekend everyone. A blessed All Saints Day to all.