Sunday, August 29, 2010

Morning Offering

One of the best things about returning to the "back-to-school" routine, is a renewed commitment to the morning offering prayer. It's something we started last year, but somehow got away from it through the summer when everyone was waking/eating breakfast at their own pace. I love sharing this prayer as a family before the kids rush off for the day... and reminding them (and me) just what the words mean...and reflecting back on it often through the day. Wow, in just a few days I notice a difference in the way I react to situations. I catch myself wondering in stressful times (particularly towards evening hours when we've all reached our boiling points) "Is this what God would appreciate as my gift/offering to Him?" I encourage anyone to give it a try. Here's our simply worded start to each day...

"Oh my God, I offer you this day,
All I do and think and say,
In union with what was done,
On earth by Jesus Christ your son.
Amen. "

(we follow up with a Hail Mary...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of our favorites before school is the St. Michael the Archangel prayer!

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
 be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
 May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
 and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
 by the power of God,
 cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits 
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
 Amen.

I love asking St. Michael to intercede and help 'protect us in battle' on our way to school! The devil is constantly poking at kids at school! It has really been such a powerful prayer!

Kate Hart said...

Jamie -
I'm a "cousin" to Jennifer Ginter. She was telling me about your blog, and after just a few minutes I AM A HUGE FAN! As a new mom of twins, I plan to visit your site frequently for little pick me ups and suggestions. Thank you for being such a great mom, and an inspiration to all of us. Good luck with the eleventh!