Wednesday, January 4, 2012

“These are days you’ll remember
Never before and never since, I promise
Will the whole world be warm as this
And as you feel it,
You’ll know it’s true
That you are blessed and lucky.”

~lyrics, "These are Days" by 10,000 Maniacs

I borrowed these lyrics to paste into my Christmas letter this year. Simple words that manage to sum up my feelings for where we're at in life right now. One of my favorite songs from---shoot---many years ago, that somehow made their way back into my head recently.

We kicked off our days of Christmas on the Eve. We all (minus little Anne, who preferred to nap at Grandma & Grandpa's) attended 4:00 Children's Mass at our parish. Eight of our kids had "jobs" to do, ranging from singing in the choir (3 oldest girls) to dressing up in the Nativity play...4 Angels and a Dove to be exact. Sam and Lucy were the only ones in the pew with us, which somehow made me feel older, and lonelier...it was a strange mix of feelings at the realization that the day will come when there will be no little climbing toddlers or crying babies at Mass with us anymore. I didn't know whether to cheer or cry. I kinda missed the climbing babble...kinda.

Anyhow, it was a beautiful Mass, and I particulary enjoyed visiting the Manger scene afterwards with the kids and pointing out the various "players" (statues) in the real story of Christmas.

Afterwards we celebrated at my parents for their traditional Christmas Eve get-together. My brother and family from Tennessee weren't able to make it, but we talked on the phone briefly, and celebrated both Christmas, and his 40th birthday in his absence. We whooped it up good.
Dad likes to come up with Trivia games for the kids...their answers are sometimes priceless. I can't recall them now, but I know we giggled more than a couple times at their simple words of wisdom. Too cute.
We exchanged gifts, and played games, and ate good foods, and just enjoyed spending happy times together; adults grateful for each others' presence, kids grateful for well, presents.

~Our traditional pose in front of the tree...just after mass before sweaters and "stuffy church clothes" are ripped off, and just before diving into the food goodies. Say CHEESE!