Wednesday, March 23, 2011

recipe box--soup

Last week I mentioned the younger kids and I attended a Soup and Bread Luncheon. I tasted two soups (of the DOZENS provided). There was a Chicken Tortilla which did not disappoint...and I have the recipe here at home. I've made several recipes similar...can't go wrong with any of them.
The other soup I tried was something I'd never seen before, so of course I was immediately drawn to it's thick creamy base, swimming with fluffy cheese pasta. YUM! It was WONDERFUL!

Fortunately a friend of my mom's saw that I had posted a request for the recipe, and found the lovely chef who agreed to pass it on. I'm looking forward to making this for a family gathering this weekend...but here's the recipe. Enjoy!


Asiago Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:

· 1 49.5 oz. can chicken broth
· 1 or 2 chicken breasts cut into 1/2" chunks
· 1 clove garlic (minced)
· 1 small onion (about a half cup chopped)
· 1 carrot (1/4 cup chopped finely)
· 1 stalk celery (about 1/4+ cup chopped finely)
· 2 tbsp parsley
· heavy pinch of dried basil (1/8 tsp)
· 1 20 oz. package of Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini
· 1 pint heavy whipping cream
* with 2-3 tsp flour for thickening
· 5 oz asiago cheese, grated

Directions:

· Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, parsley, and basil to the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
· Add chicken chunks and continue boiling gently for 30 minutes to an hour.
· Add tortellinis and bring to a boil again.
· Add flour-cream mixture and bring to a boil.
· Stir while simmering for 10-15 minutes while adding grated asiago cheese.
*** Tip: Add asiago cheese gradually and keep stirring. Otherwise it may sink to the bottom and clump/burn.