Wednesday, March 23, 2011

recipe box--soup

Last week I mentioned the younger kids and I attended a Soup and Bread Luncheon. I tasted two soups (of the DOZENS provided). There was a Chicken Tortilla which did not disappoint...and I have the recipe here at home. I've made several recipes similar...can't go wrong with any of them.
The other soup I tried was something I'd never seen before, so of course I was immediately drawn to it's thick creamy base, swimming with fluffy cheese pasta. YUM! It was WONDERFUL!

Fortunately a friend of my mom's saw that I had posted a request for the recipe, and found the lovely chef who agreed to pass it on. I'm looking forward to making this for a family gathering this weekend...but here's the recipe. Enjoy!


Asiago Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:

· 1 49.5 oz. can chicken broth
· 1 or 2 chicken breasts cut into 1/2" chunks
· 1 clove garlic (minced)
· 1 small onion (about a half cup chopped)
· 1 carrot (1/4 cup chopped finely)
· 1 stalk celery (about 1/4+ cup chopped finely)
· 2 tbsp parsley
· heavy pinch of dried basil (1/8 tsp)
· 1 20 oz. package of Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini
· 1 pint heavy whipping cream
* with 2-3 tsp flour for thickening
· 5 oz asiago cheese, grated

Directions:

· Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, parsley, and basil to the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
· Add chicken chunks and continue boiling gently for 30 minutes to an hour.
· Add tortellinis and bring to a boil again.
· Add flour-cream mixture and bring to a boil.
· Stir while simmering for 10-15 minutes while adding grated asiago cheese.
*** Tip: Add asiago cheese gradually and keep stirring. Otherwise it may sink to the bottom and clump/burn.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Just made this last night. Delicioso! And the kids didn't frown too bad either. At least they can pick out the chicken and Tortellini. That will be made again (and again). Thanks!
Renee

Anonymous said...

Jane made this for the family and it was excellent! Everyone who tried it loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
Jenny