Thursday, February 24, 2011

and a bit of ironic humor

We ran out of milk with dinner tonight, so I needed to run to the grocery one more time today. I went alone after the kids were all settling down before bed in their pj's.
While there, I ran into another mom of many who was out shopping by herself and she chuckled "Isn't it therapeutic...just 5 minutes of silence in the grocery store?"
She had no idea, I thought to myself, after today's earlier experience.
I said something silly like "Yep, better than the bathroom...nobody's knocking to get in!"

It had me wondering in the car ride home where other moms find their "5 minutes." Exercise? Prayer? Grocery shopping? A good book? I was imagining the start of something new...like mall walking...only friends meet at the grocery to pick up the essentials, walk a few laps around the store, and catch up over a cup of hot coffee. Hmmm. I might be on to something. Practical, multitasking at it's best? perhaps not. It really is the silence I crave. It's when I can actually hear myself think...better yet, hear what God's thinking.