Wednesday, February 9, 2011

calamity over make-up days.

I received a call from Charlie's preschool teacher last evening. I could instantly feel a lump in my throat, and my heart raced for a moment, as I could only begin to imagine what he had done.
She called to inform me of an incident that occurred during "calendar time." (oh Lord, what happened...my mind was racing.) Then her voice cracked in laughter and she assured me it was nothing wrong.
She went on to say that they were discussing the recent bad weather, and the days missed from school. They talked about how the plan to have a long President's Day weekend, was going to be changed to allow for a "Make-up" day. As she talked on to the class about make-up day for that Friday, she noticed Charlie's hand go up. His voice was one of concern and hesitation, as he spoke very seriously..."But Jackie, I'm from Minster, and I'm a boy, and I don't wear make-up." She said she and the other teacher could barely hold back laughter over his misunderstanding of "Make-up" day, and thought it even funnier that he had to clarify where he was from, as if boys from other towns might wear make-up.
She couldn't contain her laughter on the phone either.
Neither of us could.
And I couldn't resist asking Charlie about it when we hung up. I told him his teacher had called about makeup day, and asked him what color eye shadow he'd like to wear that day...in a most defeated look, he shrugged "Blue I guess. That's a boy color."
Poor boy.
He couldn't figure out why his dad and I were nearly in tears with laughter.

Yes, I did finally reassure him there was no make-over/beauty school, only a day to take the place of the one missed...he's still not certain about it all.

9 comments:

Martha said...

Cracking up over here!!! This story is awesome! Thanks Jamie!

Anonymous said...

Steve & I are both cracking up. I can just imagine little Charlie's big eyes and innocent heart. God love him!
Have a great day!
Bonnie

Kate Hart said...

The innocence of a child is so refreshing...

Anonymous said...

As Art Linkletter (showing my age)once said "Kids say the darndest things" That is too funny, keep that one written down in your book..one day he will get a good laugh from that remark!! I will tell our kids some of the things they said to us when they were little and they laugh and wonder how they ever thought such a thing!
Have a Great "Make-Up" Day
Robin

Only One said...

I would have loved to be the fly on the wall at school when he was so concerned about wearing makeup. I'm sure his face was priceless. He can ask uncle Ken what it's like wearing makeup. His goddaughter used to like to put make up on him, and of course he let her, we even have pictures to prove it.

Anonymous said...

That's what you think when you are outnumbered boys to girls! Good laugh for the day. Thank you for sharing.

Stacie said...

That is hillarious. Kayla came home that day and made sure she explained to me what a Make Up day meant. Now I understand the reasoning behind the long drawn out explaination. It is not a day to wear make-up mom, but a day we get to go to school. FUNNY!!! Stacie

Stacie said...

That is hillarious. Kayla came home that day and made sure she explained to me what a Make Up day meant. Now I understand the reasoning behind the long drawn out explaination. It is not a day to wear make-up mom, but a day we get to go to school. FUNNY!!! Stacie

Jackie said...

Sarah did the same thing. She was so excited in kindergarten for another snow day - until I explained that she doesn't get to wear make-up on the make-up day. Then, not so excited. She also liked trying "my-nastics" as Dad had "Jim-nastics" (not that Jim ever did any!)