Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Falling back in with Family this Fourth

What a wonderfully exhausting holiday weekend it was!
My brother and his family drove in on Friday from Knoxville, TN. Their homecoming is always reason to celebrate, so beginning Friday evening already we did just that. John was scheduled to work his usual Friday evening shift, so the kids and I headed over to mom and dads for a pizza and cold beverages on the patio, along with a few mean games of kickball for young and old to enjoy. Saturday brought us all back to mom and dad's for more visiting, backyard games, and even a late-night campfire after the kids were in bed. So nice to catch up and enjoy conversation and good laughs.
In addition to hosting my brother's family, mom and dad were also preparing their home and yard for a Fourth of July family reunion. It's a long story, with more than one, more than simple explanation, but Dad's side hasn't kept in touch well...hardly at all over the years. In fact it's been over 15 years since I've seen or talked with any of my first cousins on that side, and for Dad and his cousins, it may have been longer. Much too long overdue! On a whim, my parents planned for and threw together the reunion to be held at their home, and to their surprise more than 5o folks were able to make it. Just wonderful! I met so many incredible people, some I'd met as a small child...at funerals, or weddings; reunited with cousins my kids didn't even know I had, shared stories and tales of my great-grandparents that even my Dad hadn't heard before. Just awesome! I'm so grateful for the day, and for a full weekend of family bonding. The saying is true, "better late, than never." Dad sent me a picture from the weekend...several came later and missed sitting for the pic. Glad to say that my family circle just got bigger.


“The love of a family is life's greatest blessing”