Wednesday, April 4, 2012

just knowing

There are amazing people in this world who have a special gift of knowing what needs to be done, and they just do it...or assign someone else to do it. Or both.
Really. It's a gift.
I spend most of my days oblivious to the happenings in the community/world around me. Busy with my own concerns for the day like...well you know...laundry, and meals, and cleaning, and sorting, and making sure everyone is to school/practices/games/lessons/clubs on time, and that the rest of us are watching, waiting, or transporting as needed. Yesterday was a particularly brutal day as far as scheduling goes. And yet, other people...even people I know well and love, are facing their own life challenges...accidents, injuries, deaths even, grieving for loved ones, having babies, needing help...any sort of help. And where am I? Worrying about whether someone has clean baseball socks, or whether someone else needs a peanut butter sandwich before they run out the door.
I suck at looking beyond my own business sometimes. I fail miserably at being a good neighbor.

A lady in our neighborhood past away last weekend. Suddenly, unexpectedly. And while we're new to the neighborhood...we've been in this town all our lives, and we all know each other. And we know her husband who grieves, and her children, some of whom also live in our neighborhood. Oh, it's sad. And yet, what do we do in times like these but pray, and offer sympathies. And then (this is where I screw up) we get back to busy with our own business.
Not some people though. Nope. They know just what's needed. They know the business that needs to be taken care of. Like which neighbors should bring food, and which neighbors will be assigned to baking desserts for the funeral luncheon. And who will collect for flowers or whatever. It's beautiful, and humbling, and inspiring. And I was so incredibly grateful to get the call to bake a couple desserts. It's exactly what I would LOVE to do. Seriously. Something tangible to take the burden away from the family even if some miniscule way. I'm inspired by the people who still call on neighbors, encouraging us...even if assigning us...to do our part. I prayed as I baked late into the night last night that I would learn from this...to be a better neighbor, to recognize others needs ahead of my own. (I prayed a little love into each bite too...that those who eat it would be comforted a bit.) It is in fact, why we're here right? To lend a hand, to serve each other. To love and be loved. To be the living Christ for others when they can, in any given moment share only in his suffering.

Thank you Lord for people who just know...and do...and encourage us to live more like you.