Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

I got the dreaded question today. Surprisingly though, not from one of my own children, but one of the kids in my 2nd grade religion class. It caught me completely off guard, as I had just asked for questions relating to their First Reconcilation tomorrow night. Out of nowhere, one sharp little student took the opportunity to ask what was apparently hot on her mind. "Mrs. Schmiesing, is Santa Claus real?" (panic, cringe) I realized that I was so unprepared for this question, or for when my own kids might spring it on me.
I dodged the bullet by responding as simply as I could. "Yes, the spirit of Santa Claus is VERY real!" "You should ask your parents so tonight." ...and then "any questions about First Reconciliation?!" (Please!)

'spose it would be wise for me to visit the confessional tomorrow as well.

8 comments:

wife, mother and so much more! said...

My opinion--never lie to the child!

If I feel as though my child is too young I will talk about how Santa is in our heart...blah, blah, blah. BUT, if they come out and ask--do you bring the gifts I'll tell them yes.

Good Luck for the next time! ;)

wife, mother and so much more! said...

One more thing--I like to show my kids the movie St. Nick from family films features (I always taught 4th graders, they were at that point of knowing). Letting them know that St. Nick is real.

Shel said...

I've read other forums where people are aghast at lying to their kids about Santa all those years. I'm not like that but once they hit second grade and ask, I answer truthfully. Until then they get "Do you believe in Santa?" and when they answer "yes" I don't really say anything else. Let's face it they are curious but don't want to be told also. We explain that St. Nick is Santa and he picks up your list on Dec. 5th. and delivers your presents on the 25th.

jamie said...

I think it may have been much easier for me to be upfront with one of my own children, but honestly, I did not want to be the one to spoil it for a whole classroom of children. (Hence the 'talk with your parents' part of my response.)

wife, mother and so much more! said...

I think that you handled it perfectly!!

wife, mother and so much more! said...

BTW; my post on my blog was totally a coincidence--I had it scheduled for a few days now!! funny!

only one said...

I never got the question from our son, but I loved your response of "Yes the spirit of Santa Claus is very real." I still love the image of Santa and our son, when he told Santa to sit on his lap so he could give him something. That is the spirit, sharing the love....

Anonymous said...

I think you handled this very well Jamie. As a parent, I would have been very disappointed if my children were told about Santa in class. As an elementary teacher, I have the same situation almost daily during December.